Foods to Boost the Immune System
Our delicate immune system needs the support of a balanced diet, to remain strong and to protect us from infections, diseases and viruses. Consumption of a low-fat, plant-based diet, regular exercise and adequate sleep are essential in maintaining and strengthening our immune defenses. Fiber-based diets are effective for weight loss and also help with digestive disorders. Diets rich in fiber, lower the BMI, which in return helps to improve our immunity. A plant-based diet has also been shown to reduce inflammatory biomarkers. Many foods work wonders to boost the immune system, as they are equipped with necessary vitamins which are rich in antioxidants. These help to reduce oxidative stress and protect the body from illnesses. Some examples of the fruits and vegetables which bear the same are:
Citrus fruits, Red bell peppers, Broccoli, Garlic, Ginger, Spinach, Yogurt, Almonds, etc.
Supplements to Boost the Immune System
Looking for the right immunity boosting supplement is not easy, especially for those who are dealing with health concerns. The market is flooded with myriad of supplements and each promises good health. Then which supplement can you really count on?
24hr Supplement is a complete and powerful immunity supplement that is packed with natural ingredients and fueled by TurmiZn-OS—a novel and advanced, super complex of Turmeric extract and Zinc. This all-in-one formula helps reduce oxidative stress and support immunity. TurmiZn-OS is created by the chelation of curcumin and tetrahydrocurcumin with zinc, specifically designed to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation with improved anti-oxidant activity and immunity. The synergistic effect of complexing zinc, curcumin, and tetrahydrocurcumin allows enhanced bioavailability and stability, which is the heart of TurmiZn-OS technology.
Other powerful ingredients include vitamins and minerals like Zinc, Selenium, vitamins C, vitamin D3, Ferulic acid, Spirulina extract and Piperine.
Ingredients Found in Food and Supplements to Boost the Immune System
Let’s take a look at the natural ingredients used to create 24hr supplement
- Tetrahydrocurcumin – Tetrahydrocurcumin plays an important role in the antioxidant mechanism of curcumin and is the most potent antioxidant of the curcuminoids.
- Zinc – Zinc is a nutrient found throughout the body, aiding in the stability of a healthy immune system and metabolism. This superhero nutrient keeps the immune system strong and supports normal growth. According to National health surveys, 67% of the adult population does not consume the recommended dietary intake of zinc (RDI). Insufficient intake of Zinc can lead to increased risk of infection, skin disorders, and a decreased sense of taste and smell. Adding Zinc to curcumin has shown great promise for boosting immunity by improving solubility and better oxidative stress reduction.
- Curcumin – Curcumin, the naturally-occurring chemical in turmeric, is an effective compound to help support the immune system, by maintaining the immunomodulating capacity of the body along with acting as an inflammation inhibitor.
- Black Elderberry – Black Elderberry is a powerful phytonutrient that has been used for centuries to support immune functions and to promote a healthy respiratory system. Its packed with powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. In vitro studies have shown that anthocyanins and flavonols extracted from elderberries possess powerful free radical scavenging properties and immunomodulatory properties
- Selenium – Selenium is an essential micronutrient for oxidative damage protection, virus-fighting and is an essential co-factor for certain peroxidases. Decrease in Selenium intake, can result in an insufficient immune response. Selenium supports heart and bone health. Studies have shown that Influenza is more pathogenic in selenium-deficient mice, and selenium deficiency also increases the rate at which viruses can mutate, promoting the evolution of strains that are more pathogenic and capable of evading immune surveillance
- Vitamin D3 – Vitamin D3 has been proven to build up immunity and reduce the risk of flu. It is also known for its powerful support of lung functions. The deficiency of this vitamin is associated with anxiety, depression, fatigue, and slow recovery
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C, most commonly found in citrus fruits, is used in many health supplements. This vitamin is essential, meaning your body can’t produce it. It encourages the production of white blood cells, which help support the body during times of stress such as infection and free radicals. Our body’s vitamin C requirement increases when exposed to oxidative stress like flu or viral infection
- Spirulina Extract – Oral administration of spirulina extract rich in phycocyanin has been found to provide cold and flu support. Phycocyanin boosts interferon during oxidative stress.
- Ferulic Acid – Ferulic Acid is an antioxidant found naturally in the seeds of fruits like apples and oranges as well as some vegetables, nuts, and grains. This organic compound supports the body in times of stress.
- Piperine – Black Pepper Extract stimulates immune-boosting agents by increasing their bioavailability. It is believed that piperine supports curcumin absorption by over 2,000%.
The above-mentioned compounds are the ones that must be included in diet to have a balanced immune system. All the ingredients mentioned are in their natural form, thus making them safe for human consumption.