The Promising Role TurmiZn-OS™ Plays in Prostate Health
The prostate is one of the largest reservoirs of zinc in the body. Zinc helps maintain the prostate tissue by inhibiting the enzyme aconitase which is responsible for citrate metabolism. In the absence of zinc, citrate metabolism will be impaired in the prostate cells and can lead to enlargement of gland, commonly known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Left untreated, BPH may eventually lead to prostate cancer. In addition to zinc deficiency, a hormone known as dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is also responsible for increased size of prostate and may lead to disturbing lower urinary symptoms such as dribbling, frequent urination and incontinence — also referred to as lower urinary tract syndrome (LUTS) (Aleksandra et al., 2015).
Prostate glands are also susceptible to infection and subsequently inflammation as well. The enlarged prostate, or BPH, is common in approximately one third of men older than 50 years of age and increases among men as they age. Zinc deficiency in aging and elderly population is very common. Various factors including vegan diet, life style, disease conditions, use of drugs may affect the healthy status of zinc by hampering its absorption.
Therefore it is important to restore the healthy zinc level in the blood as well as in prostate tissue. It is also important to balance the inflammation in the prostate tissue for healthy prostate functioning.
Currently zinc supplements on the market are often susceptible to enzymes and other factors responsible for lower absorption rates. Thus they are less bioavailable for the body to use. Therefore, it is important to use a form of zinc which is not affected by enzymes or other antagonists in the gut.
Scientists at 24hr Supplement discovered that bonding zinc with other curcuminoids — Curcumin and Tetrahydrocurcumin — enhance zinc absorption while protecting it throughout the digestive process, increasing its bioavailability. The patented zinc-curcuminoid complex, called TurmiZn-OS™, displays multiple benefits for healthy prostate functioning.
Here are examples of the recent findings in which TurmiZn-OS™ benefits the prostate:
- Zinc in TurmiZn-OS™ is complexed (or bonded) with curcuminoids, therefore its absorption in the gut is better than ionic zinc and other forms of zinc.
- The curcuminoids in TurmiZn-OS™ include curcumin and tetrahydrocurcumin (an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant, respectively), which offer additional benefit in maintaining healthy inflammatory balance in the prostate as well as in many other organs in the body.
- Curcuminoids, in particular curcumin, is poorly absorbed from the intestine. But with TurmiZn-OS™, curcumin is complexed with zinc therefore gets readily absorbed. Curcumin is well-established by science for having anti-inflammatory properties.
(Diagram 1 shows how low levels of Zinc and free radicals can enlarge the prostate. By introducing curcuminoids and Zinc (TurmiZn-OS™), levels of DHT and the enzyme citrate are decreased, which benefit prostate health.)
(In addition TurmiZn-OS™ curbs the harmful effect of free radicals on the prostate with its strong antioxidant effect. The result is TurmiZn-OS™ may help support healthy urine flow, decreased nighttime urge to urinate, and better bladder emptying.)
- Studies have clearly shown that curcumin can reduce the expression of the androgenic receptor in the prostate tissue at which the DHT hormone acts to initiate harmful cascade of events leading to BPH and LUTS. See Diagram 1.
- Interestingly, both zinc and curcuminoids inhibit the enzyme that is responsible for generation of harmful hormone DHT. See Diagram 1.
- Increased level of prostate specific enzyme (PSA) is an indicator of poor prostate health and warning sign for enlarged prostate. Curcumin significantly lowers the prostate specific enzymes, a biomarker of prostate health. (Ide 2010) See Diagram 2 below.
(Diagram 2 shows a chart from Ide’s study, demonstrating Curcumin’s effect in balancing the level of the PSA enzyme. The PSA enzyme is a biomarker for prostate health, with higher PSA enzymes being an indicator of poor prostate health.)
- Studies have shown that zinc and curcuminoids work in synergy in improving the lower urinary tract symptoms in men with enlarged prostate.
- In our 24hr Supplement’s studies on TurmiZn-OS™, we have found that TurmiZn-OS™ may significantly inhibit harmful chemicals known as cytokines. Cytokines have been implicated in poor immune functioning, and inflammatory reactions in the body as well as in prostate gland.
- Prostate glands also suffer from free radicals released from the cells which may further damage the prostate gland. We have found that TurmiZn-OS™ helps in curbing the free radicals by its antioxidant activity.
- Ide H, Tokiwa S, Sakamaki K, et al. Combined inhibitory effects of soy isoflavones and curcumin on the production of prostate-specific antigen. Prostate. 2010;70(10):1127-1133.
- Zinc Inhibits Expression of Androgen Receptor to Suppress Growth of Prostate Cancer Cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(10):3062. Published 2018 Oct 8. doi:10.3390/ijms19103062
- Zinc: The Wonder Drug for the Treatment of Carcinomas. Acta Sci Cancer Biol. 2020 May;4(5):33-39.
— Dr. Ajay Srivastava, serves as a scientific advisor to 24hr Supplement, and as Adjunct Faculty at University of Wisconsin-Stout, Ph.D in Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), India